No MBA mumbo-jumbo, just stuff that's worked through 30 years of team-building in business and the military.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Fastest Improvement is Slow Change

If you want change to work, it's best to go slow.

I remember my first day in South Korea. I couldn't buy coffee; I couldn't even tell which places might sell coffee. I couldn't hail a cab. Forget about getting anything done, all I thought about was feeding myself and putting a roof over my head. And I learned a key leadership lesson: When everything changes, people shift into survival mode and work slows to a crawl.

Your best bet: Change one thing at a time. Change process flow, and then when that becomes normal, reassign people, for example. If you do both simultaneously, you're asking for chaos.

There's something I used to tell soldiers when they were trying to learn to do something quickly under pressure: Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. When you try for speed, you're more likely to make mistakes that just cost you time.

Take it slow, things will go smoothly, and overall the pace of change in your area will speed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment